Thursday 27 January 2011

The pitter patter of tiny feet - A happy blog!!!!

That's it, for one blog entry it's going to be happy! No ranting, no sarcasm, no swearing and no satirical meanderings. No, this time it is personal, which is unusual as I'm a pretty private person. Something happened today that really effected me, and I've gotten quite emotional about it to be perfectly honest. Today, I heard my baby's heartbeat. Let me tell you, it's the best thing I've heard all year and it's an awesome experience.

Jayne is 24 weeks pregnant and today was one of her appointments with her midwife. I've been with Jayne to three scans so far which have seen the baby develop from a jellybean sized fetus right up to a wriggling, kicking little so and so. I liked the scans dearly, especially when I learned of the gender of our child. But none of it compared to when I heard the heartbeat today with the midwife's fancy gizmo thing. Hearing the heartbeat galvanises the whole thing, makes it very real.

Whereas before I'd get excited over spending hours in record shops looking for, well, records I suppose, I now get excited going into places like Mothercare. Just browsing the fantastic clothing and stuff that is available now for babies. I'm looking forward to getting our Silvercross travel pram system in a near-as-makes-no-difference Ferrari colour scheme. Not like in our day, when all we 'ad were a shoe box in t'garden and a handful of cold gravel for breakfast. I'm in awe at the support of friends and family and the generosity that is bestowed upon us. And the baby isn't even here yet!

Five or so years ago I never really wanted children and I know that upset Jayne more than a little. However, three years ago we kind of started trying, even though I still wasn't particularly sure. To be honest, the idea of having a baby scared the shit out of me. There was a turning point though. Read on.

Basically to cut a long story short our close friends Alec and Kat had a lovely baby boy back in August 2009, and as well as spending rather a lot of time with Alec and Kat, we've spent a lot of time with their son. We were chosen as supporting adults for his naming ceremony. He is a wonderful lad and a joy to be around. This is probably the most important and influential factor in changing my thoughts on having children. Added to which Alec and Kat brought in the New Year this year with another wonderful addition to their family - another baby boy. If this one is anything like his brother, he's going to be an absolute corker. The fact that the two boys have a truly great and loving pair of parents and a fine pair of grandparents are important factors. The added bonus for us is we get to see them all regularly.

This has all brought the excitement and intrigue to the foreground for me. It has also armed me with a Haynes Workshop Manual service and repair book for Babies, so look out. 2011 may have started with a bang, but it's all going to get better. May is our due date, and trust me on this - I'm counting the minutes! It may well have been a bit of a journey for us to get to the stage we are at now, but the important thing for me is we are at that stage. Jayne has passed the halfway mark in her pregnancy and everything, touch wood, is as it should be. Our baby boy is doing fine. Importantly, Jayne is doing fine.

Start as we mean to go on though, as my lad already seems to be grooving to music, much to my amusement but I'm sure not to Jayne's! He reacts well to ZZ Top, The Who, Tom Petty and heavier Beatles stuff. That's my boy!

Another heartwarming thing to consider for me is it's ironic that as we trace the dates back, the date of conception coincides with our wedding anniversary. The downside to that is we conceived our child in Devon... poor sod.

No comments:

Post a Comment